Demonstration Road Paving Project
- JN 112244A: Lake Lansing Rd from E Saginaw Hwy (I-69 BR) East to Lac Du Mont Dr, Lansing MI
- 1 Mile of hot mix asphalt cold-milling, crushing, shaping & repaving
- 9,085 Total tons asphalt mix
- 6,378 Tons of regular HMA
- 2,707 tons of SmartMIXTM Modified
- SmartMIXTM Utilized in base course, structural layer & surface course
- 36,897 lbs. of SmartMIXTM equates to roughly 3,000 tires repurposed
- Mixtures compliant with MDOT Superpave 3E1, 4E1, and 5E1 Mixes (standard dense grade highway mix with design life of 1 million Equivalent Single Axle Load (ESALs)).
- Mixtures contain 33% RAP
- Binder in mixes unmodified PG 58-28
East Lake Lansing Rd Project Location
Lake Lansing Road Mixtures
|Mixture Type||Binder Content (%)||RAP (%)||Binder from RAP (%)||Additional Binder (%)
SmartMIXTM – East Lansing Project Review
Original Placement August 2015
Project Images from August 2017 2 years in place
- Control Mix on Left
- SmartMIXTM on Right (Center Lane)
- Darker color in SmartMIXTM due to tire rubber and carbon black,
- Darker potentially due to higher maltene content (maltenes are lost as asphalt ages, SmartMIXTM adds Maltenes).
- Full depth reconstruction 6.5 inches.
SmartMIXTM Delays Aging
SmartMIXTM Rubber Reduces Crack Potential
- Regular mix in near lane
- Rubberized mix in center lane
- Regular mix in far lane
- Crack goes from edge to edge in regular mixes but stops in rubber mix.
- This section is a 1.5 inch overlay of existing pavement.
- “Stair step” down to full depth reconstruction (6.5 inches) on rest of project.